Step-by-Step Getting Your Hedgehog
Step 1: Getting on the waiting list
- First do you need to get on the waiting list? Sometimes we have available adults or babies who have been passed over by the waiting list. In their case you can just skip this step.
- If you do want to go on a waiting list we have two the Priority Waiting List, and the Regular Waiting list. When we contact owners we contact first the Priority Waiting List and then the Regular Waiting List.
- The Priority Waiting List: In order to get on this list you pay us a non-refundable hedgehog deposit of $50. The $50 goes towards your future hedgehog and when you do pick them you don't need to put down a deposit because you already have. To send me a deposit you can come in person and pay $50 cash, check, or money order, you can mail me a check for $50, or I can send you a PayPal invoice for $52 (PayPal adds a fee) and you can pay with a credit card, debit card, or paypal account
- If you don't check your e-mail regularly it is a good idea to give me your phone number and indicate that you would also like to be called or texted when it is your turn to pick your hedgehog
Step 2: Getting Ready For Your Hedgehog
- When you know for sure that you want to get a hedgehog it is a good idea to start researching and getting all of the supplies you need for your hedgehog.
- Research: There are some great sources of information out there and we have listed some of them here for you
Hedgehog Central has loads of information HERE
Hedgehog Central also has a forum where hedgehog owners and breeders will discuss health, behavior, hedgehog products and a lot . more. It's free to join and definitely worth it. They're HERE
We also offer a bare bones care guide on our website HERE
- There are all kinds of supplies for hedgehogs, some you will need and some you just want. Before you pick up your hedgehog you will have to send me a picture of your cage set-up and associated materials. It will need to include everything on our minimum cage requirements list
- A more in depth description of these items and some examples of them can be found HERE
Step 3: Picking Your Hedgehog
- When I breed a pair of hedgehogs it is put on our Upcoming Litters page, if you see a crossing that you like you can choose to follow it, or send me an e-mail specifying that you would like a baby from that pair. However it is not guaranteed that the female will become pregnant or that the babies wills survive.
- When the babies are born I will move the litter from the Upcoming Litters page to the Available Babies page. At some point I may put an estimated number of babies, and their sexes down, or I may not. If you were interested in a particular litter now is a great time to get on the Priority Waiting list.
- When babies are between 3-4 weeks old I will take individual pictures of them and begin contacting first the Priority Waiting List and then the Regular Waiting list. I will contact people 1-2 at a time and each person will have 48 hours before I move to the next person on the waiting list. If you are on the Regular Waiting List I then inform you that you have 2 weeks to let me know if you want to stay on the waiting list before I automatically remove you. If you are on the Priority Waiting List I will never remove you unless you ask me to.
- When you are contacted you can choose to pick one online or make an appointment to come in and meet the babies before you pick one.
Step 4: Putting Down the Deposit
- If you are on the Priority Waiting List, don't worry you've already done this step.
- If you are anyone else you have 24 hours after picking your hedgehog to indicate the method of payment you will use before I move to the next person
- To send me a deposit you can come in person and pay $50 cash, check, or money order, you can mail me a check for $50, or I can send you a PayPal invoice for $52 (PayPal adds a fee) and you can pay with a credit card, debit card, or paypal account.
- Deposits are NON-REFUNDABLE
- If you are coming in person, or mailing a check, you have a week to get me the money, for a check that means it has to arrive before the end of 7 days. If you choose PayPal, you have another 24 hours to send the payment.
- If the payment doesn't arrive in the designated time period I will contact the next person on the waiting list. If your hedgehog is still available when the payment arrives you can still get them, if it's not you can choose to have me refund you, put the deposit to another hedgehog, or opt to be put on the Priority Waiting List.
Step 5: Picking Up Your Hedgehog
- Babies wean at 6 weeks old, and as long as they are over 130 grams at this point and not sick they can go home at 6 weeks. Their expected weaning date will be listed on the Available Babies page.
- Some time in the week before their 6 week old date I will contact you to let you know that they are up to weight and healthy and schedule an appointment date.
- If you haven't sent me the picture of your set-up I will also ask you for this and I will not send you hedgehog home if it doesn't include all of the items listed in our minimum cage requirements.
- If you are more than half an hour late for your appointment I can not guarantee that I will be there, however if you contact me and let me know that you are going to be late I can usually work with you.
- When you pick up your baby you need to either bring something to carry them home with or have made arrangements with us about buying a carry box. You can't take them home in just your hands and if you don't have a container we will have to reschedule.
- When you pick up your baby you will be asked to fill out some USDA paperwork and sign our heath guarantee. If you owe anything you will pay your balance. I will talk to you a little about what to expect in the first few days and you can ask any questions you have.
- Then take your baby home!